Overseas Student Health Care

Home > Overseas Student Health Care


Overseas Student Health Care

It is a requirement of your visa that you have sufficient health insurance for the duration of your stay in Australia if you are an international student in possession of a temporary student visa. This implies that while you are in Australia and possession of a student visa, you must get Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) and maintain the currency of your policy.

The OSHC program helps overseas students pay for any necessary hospital and medical care while they are studying in Australia. OSHC also offers limited medications and ambulance coverage.

If you are a student from Sweden, Norway, or Belgium, some exceptions might be made. If this applies to you, you might be eligible for exceptional provisions under your own national schemes. Speak with the Department of Home Affairs to learn if you qualify for such provisions and whether you are excused from the necessity to purchase OSHC.

Keep in mind to keep your cover-up at all times because having OSHC is a necessity for visas. It’s possible that you won’t be able to make a claim for services you got while you were in arrears if you do fall behind on payments or renew your insurance.

Medicare and OSHC coverage

You can also apply for Medicare through the reciprocal health care agreements between Australia and the United Kingdom, Sweden, the Netherlands, Belgium, Slovenia, Italy, or New Zealand if you are in Australia on a student visa from one of those nations. (The accords with Norway, Finland, Malta, and the Republic of Ireland do not apply to students from those nations.)

You will also be eligible for OSHC in addition to any Medicare coverage you are entitled to under a reciprocal health care agreement. You still need to get OSHC even if you have reciprocal access to Medicare.

What does Overseas Student Health Care cover?

OSHC plans help to pay for hospital and medical expenses. Ambulance services are also covered under benefits.

The OSHC Deed specifies the fundamental conditions of an OSHC policy. Explanatory Guidelines for the Deed and a One-Page Fact Sheet describing what is covered by the Deed and how OSHC functions are also available from the Department of Health and Aged Care. Please check with your OSHC insurer for more details.

For More Information on Your Visa Application Contat Us Today!

One of our Registered Migration Agents will guide you through your Visa Application Process and answer all your questions. Book an Appointment or call us now!



Eden Immigration is registered with the Migration Agent Authority(MARA).  We are committed to helping you find the right solution to your immigration needs.

General Skilled Migration Visas

Skill work that is in demand Australia can lead to a job opportunity and permanent residency through GSM Visa Program

Student Visas

Get access to top tier Educational Institutes in Australia and get the degree of your dreams through the Student Visa Program

Family Visas

Sponsor your family members to help them immigrate to Australia through the Family Visa programs and subclass visas

Business Visas

The Australian Business Visa program provides you with the opportunity to invest, establish or Manage Business in Australia

Partner Visas

Sponsor your partner to come live with you in Australia and Enjoy the various Benefits they get through Partner Visa program

Other Visa Services

With Various subclasses and categories, there is a visa category for anyone wishing to immigrate to Australia

Contact Details

Call Us

+61 (02) 9266 0115




Fayworth House, level 5, 501/379-383 pitt street, Sydney, NSW 2000

Request Consultation

Eden Immigration is registered with the Migration Agent Authority(MARA).  We are committed to helping you find the right solution to your immigration needs. For more information, fill out the form and contact us today!

Add Supporting Documents for your Enquiry