Switching Courses

Home > Switching Courses


Switching Courses

When you first move to a new city and institution, sometimes things just don’t seem right. You can be looking for a completely another study route, the course might not be appropriate for your ideal employment, or you might just no longer be interested in it.

It’s okay if you begin your education in Australia and then decide it’s not the best fit for you. The option of changing courses is available to international students in Australia, but there are a few considerations to make. Whether your long-term goals are related to your future career, education, or personal aspirations, you must make sure that your new plan fits them better than the prior one when switching to a new city, institution, or course.

Why you should Study in Australia:

Explore your University and Course Options

We aim to make your student experience as easy & stress-free as possible.

Here are Some Frequently Asked Questions about Switching Courses

Can I change my course to a different Stream?

Yes! If you believe that what you’re presently studying isn’t the greatest option for you or your professional aspirations, you may be eligible to change courses as an international student in Australia on a Student visa (subclass 500).

However, there are a few factors to consider before deciding to switch study programs or courses:

I’ve been studying my initial course for at least six months

You do not need to apply for a new student visa if you have been enrolled in your original course for six months or more and desire to switch to a similar-level or higher-level Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) program at your present institution. Any changes to your study circumstances will be reported to the Department of Home Affairs by your educational institution; you won’t even need to update your ImmiAccount! Your current student visa will only need to be renewed if it is about to expire.

 I’ve only recently started studying my initial course:

The same regulations apply if you want to switch courses at your present educational institution after less than six months of study in your initial course.

Switching to a non-AQF or lower-level course:

You must submit an application for a new student visa if you wish to enrol in a lower-level or non-AQF programme. There are some exceptions if you’re switching from a programme at AQF level 10 (Doctoral degree) to a course at AQF level 9. (Masters degree).

Be aware that the start of your primary course may affect your ability to transfer if you are enrolled in a packaged course (such as Foundation studies and university courses packaged together).

skilled Graduate 485 visa

For More Information on Your Visa Application Contat Us Today!

One of our Registered Migration Agents will guide you through your Visa Application Process and answer all your questions. Book an Appointment or call us now!



Eden Immigration is registered with the Migration Agent Authority(MARA).  We are committed to helping you find the right solution to your immigration needs.

General Skilled Migration Visas

Skill work that is in demand Australia can lead to a job opportunity and permanent residency through GSM Visa Program

Student Visas

Get access to top tier Educational Institutes in Australia and get the degree of your dreams through the Student Visa Program

Family Visas

Sponsor your family members to help them immigrate to Australia through the Family Visa programs and subclass visas

Business Visas

The Australian Business Visa program provides you with the opportunity to invest, establish or Manage Business in Australia

Partner Visas

Sponsor your partner to come live with you in Australia and Enjoy the various Benefits they get through Partner Visa program

Other Visa Services

With Various subclasses and categories, there is a visa category for anyone wishing to immigrate to Australia

Contact Details

Call Us

+61 (02) 9266 0115




Fayworth House, level 5, 501/379-383 pitt street, Sydney, NSW 2000

Request Consultation

Eden Immigration is registered with the Migration Agent Authority(MARA).  We are committed to helping you find the right solution to your immigration needs. For more information, fill out the form and contact us today!

Add Supporting Documents for your Enquiry